Like most rational human beings, we were initially quite horrified when we read the details, per Vanity Fair, of the supposed spouse recruitment that the Church of Scientology arranged for Tom Cruise back in 2004. According to the October cover story, after several young actresses/Scientology members submitted audition tapes for what they thought was a film project, Iranian-born and London-raised Nazanin Boniadi “won” the role. She lost the part after three month, the story says. Her friend, the director and former Scientologist (and infamous Scientology critic) Paul Haggis confirmed the relationship to Showbiz411, telling the site, “Naz was embarrassed by her unwitting involvement in this incident and never wanted it to come out, so I kept silent. … However I was deeply disturbed by how the highest ranking members of a church could so easily justify using one of their members; how they so callously punished her and then so effectively silenced her when it was done. It wasn’t just the threats; they actually made her feel ashamed, when all she had been was human and trusting.”
So, OK, the church allegedly violated her privacy, made her break up with her old boyfriend, treated her like a disobedient child when she displeased Cruise and punished her for confiding in her friend about the relationship by making her scrub toilets with a toothbrush. But we’re going to play devil’s advocate for a second here: There had to be something that made this all worth it, right? Something that made Katie Holmes stick around for years? We just want to take a second to dissect the possible reasons a person might put herself through such a process. (And btw, the Church of Scientology and Tom Cruise’s camp deny all of the VF story’s allegations).
- You get to date a major Hollywood movie star, on whom you probably had a crush at one or more times during your girlhood. Even if there’s no true love involved, thousands of years of successful royal marriages prove that this kind of match isn’t the worst thing in the world.
- You can probably expect to become famous in the process. Or, in Katie’s case, more famous than a teen drama would ever make you. (This kind of didn’t work for Nazanin, who was kept hidden.)
- You get an image makeover. Nazanin got her braces removed and her hair color changed. Katie got that chic bob and a high-fashion update thanks to friendships with Karl Lagerfeld and the like.
- Despite the fact that Cruise allegedly had other people choose his dates for him, and reportedly had an entourage in tow for their first date, he sounds like quite the romantic. His first date with Nazanin included dinner at Nobu and ice-skating at Rockefeller Center (rented out just for them). “I’ve never felt this way before,” he supposedly told her that night. As someone who nearly melted when he merely said my name at a PRESS CONFERENCE, I can attest to the very convincing nature of Tom Cruise’s relentless charm.
- If you believe in Scientology, as someone like Nazanin, whose mother was also a member, clearly did, you would probably be interested in being involved with its highest leaders and maybe even think any sacrifices you make are minor in respect to the bigger picture. You might also think that a match arranged by the church has your best interests in mind. (But yeah, you make one mistake like asking the leader to repeat himself because he talks too fast and you’re dumped on your ass and scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush, allegedly.)
So, it’s not Boniadi on the cover of a bunch of magazines this fall and being hounded by the tabloids as she escorts her beautiful daughter all over town. On the other hand, things seem to have worked out for her since she was allegedly ditched by Cruise and eventually left Scientology: She’s now a working actress with parts on General Hospital, Iron Man and How I Met Your Mother under her belt, plus she’s a spokesperson for Amnesty International. And she still looks like this.
[Photos: Vanity Fair, Getty Images]
Source: Tom Cruise’s Scientology Matches: Would You Be Tempted Like Katie Holmes And Nazanin Boniadi?
By Evan Lambert
08/15/2012 at 05:20 PM EDT
Minka Kelly and Katie Holmes
Pacific Coast News; Splash News Online
Playing the role of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is no easy task – and an impressive list of actresses have portrayed the former First Lady onscreen, including Katie Holmes
in The Kennedys
last year. And now a new star can add Jackie O. to her resume: Minka Kelly
The Friday Night Lights actress, 32, is set to appear as Onassis in The Butler, which premieres in 2013 and stars James Marsden as John F. Kennedy.
Kelly was recently snapped in full Jackie O garb with Marsden on the film’s New Orleans set, which recalls a similar picture of Holmes in costume last year.
Do you think Kelly has what it takes to play the beloved Jackie O? Or did Holmes look better as the wife of the 35th President of the United States?
Source: Minka Kelly as Jackie O: How Does She Stack Up?
Kristen Stewart has landed the lead role in the indie film Lie Down In Darkness, reports Vulture. Directed by Scott Cooper, the film is based on a novel by William Styron about a seriously screwed up family living in 1950s Virginia. Kristen will play Peyton Loftis, a beautiful young woman with a crippled sister whose “intense physical beauty makes her the object of her frigid mother’s jealous hatred and the target of her father’s incestuous, alcoholic lust.” (Did anyone else just dream-cast John Hawkes as the dad?)
Kristen expressed her passion for Peyton in an interview with Elle earlier this year, saying that she wanted the role “more than anything I can possibly taste or touch in my life. I want to play her so bad.”
Jennifer Lawrence was also dying to play Peyton, but she’s stuck making blockbuster sequels to The Hunger Games and X-Men all through out next year. It’s interesting to note the similarities in the actresses’ careers and desired roles. Two women who do amazing work on both sides of the film spectrum. Maybe we’ll see them share the screen one day?
Related: Kristen Stewart And Robert Pattinson’s Next Projects: An In-Depth Look Ahead
Source: Report: Kristen Stewart Lands Coveted Indie Role In Lie Down In Darkness
Oh, our noses! Look, we can’t stop Vince Vaughn from executive producing a Brady Bunch reboot. Seeing as how 21 Jump Street and 90210 were already taken, it was only a matter of time before someone reached even further back into the annals of television and noodled with the classic ’70s blended-family sitcom. According to Deadline, Vaughn’s update revolves around the conceit that the original show’s “youngest son Bobby Brady is divorced and remarried to a woman who also has first-marriage kids and the couple have their own child together.” There hasn’t been any casting news as of yet, which means there is still time for Vince Vaughn to read this post and act accordingly. If we’re going to do this, dude, then let’s do this right! By including actors and actresses like…
- Christine Taylor as Carol 2.0: The Wedding Singer actress played Marcia in 1995′s The Brady Bunch Movie, now she has finally reached an age where she can play Marcia’s mom. (Well, on TV anyway.) We basically want her career to revolved entirely around the Brady Bunch, is what we’re saying.
- Ashley Benson as Marcia: The Pretty Little Liars star needs to scale back her Queen Bee attitude to play Marcia, but not by a lot. There was always a hint of viciousness in those piercing blue eyes. Oh, no one else saw that but us? Very well then.
- Taissa Farmiga as Jan: Slap some headgear on the American Horror Story actress and you have all the same painful awkwardness of the original Jan.
- Keirnan Shipka as Cindy: Don Draper’s daughter would make an adorable, if somewhat more mature, youngest daughter. So what if she’s a teensy bit older than the original Cindy? There are no laws here in Reboot Town! Plus, girl will look good in curls.
And as for the gentlemen…
- Nathan Fillion as Mike (Well…now Bobby): The Castle actor will bring the kind of intelligence and warm a divorced sitcom dad deserves. Plus, like the original Mike Brady Robert Reed, he’s a total dad babe.
- Evan Peters as Greg: As a brunette, the American Horror Story actor would be perfect at setting off a million futile teen crushes.
- Logan Lerman as Peter: Nice, self-effacing, secretly hotter than Greg: the Perks of Being a Wallflower star would make a great Peter. And since we’re following the grand tradition of casting 20-somethings as teens, we don’t even have to feel weird about pointing out his hotness!
- Nolan Gould as Bobby: Nolan is basically already playing Bobby as the dippy Luke on Modern Family. He could film on his off days!
- Ellen DeGeneres as Alice the maid: Okay, this will never, ever happen in a million years. But oh, if it did…
- Jon C. Reilly as Sam the Butcher: Well, someone has to play Alice’s boyfriend! The new Alice can’t not have a meatman for a boyfriend! Are we right?
Source: If Vince Vaughn Insists On Making This Brady Bunch Reboot, Then We Insist On Casting It Correctly