Uh, didn’t we (almost) call it? Our own Kate Spencer totally had Shailene Woodley as one of the possible actresses in our epic Divergent fantasy casting post. It’s times like these when we feel like we can see into the future. Like wizards! Like sexy, sexy wizards. So with apologies to Saorise Ronan (the fan favorite amongst you guys), we’re happy to report that the Descendants star is currently “negotiating” to play the lead in the film version of Veronica Roth‘s YA dysopia novel. Now we just got to get American Horror Story‘s Evan Peters onboard. You all saw the Asylum season premiere last night! You know you want to see him on the big screen!
In case you needed further proof Shailene’s going to be the next Jennifer Lawrence, might you remind you that girl might also be playing Spidey’s future wife Mary Jane Parker in the Amazing Spider-Man 2? Sorry Emma Stone! Oh, and we totally called Shailene’s Spider-Man 2 role too. At some point in the past. Just don’t ever go back and check to see whether we actually did or not. Just trust us. We mean, look at our cloaks, crystal balls and insanely long beards. Would we ever lead you astray?
[Photo: Getty Images]
Source: We’re Going To Go Ahead And Say We Called It: Shailene Woodley In Talks For Divergent Lead
Not only did Kristen Stewart get to enjoy the kudos surrounding On the Road during her visit to the Toronto Film Festival last week, she also had the chance to put two big rumors/fears to rest: 1) That the promotional tour for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 is going to be really awkward, and 2) that she has an ongoing feud with Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence.
When asked about the potential weirdness of promoting Breaking Dawn with Robert Pattinson, she told The Associated Press, “We’re going to be fine. We’re totally fine.”
Then Stewart and Lawrence finally quashed rumors that spread this spring about a supposed rivalry between the 22-year-old actresses. They met in person for the first time while doing press at the Intercontinental Hotel. “People who saw them said they were geeking out about each other,” a source told Us Weekly. “Kristen and Jennifer told friends they had emailed in the past but had never seen each other face to face. They’re big fans of each other.”
This would come as a huge relief, if we ever thought there was truth to the rumor, which to us just sounded like someone deciding that two successful young woman would automatically resort to cattiness instead of supporting each other. We know Jen and Kristen don’t play that way. But we are excited to imagine a friendship growing out of this meeting!
[Photo: Getty Images]
Source: Kristen Stewart Is “Totally Fine” With RPattz, Totally Cool With Jennifer Lawrence
Like most rational human beings, we were initially quite horrified when we read the details, per Vanity Fair, of the supposed spouse recruitment that the Church of Scientology arranged for Tom Cruise back in 2004. According to the October cover story, after several young actresses/Scientology members submitted audition tapes for what they thought was a film project, Iranian-born and London-raised Nazanin Boniadi “won” the role. She lost the part after three month, the story says. Her friend, the director and former Scientologist (and infamous Scientology critic) Paul Haggis confirmed the relationship to Showbiz411, telling the site, “Naz was embarrassed by her unwitting involvement in this incident and never wanted it to come out, so I kept silent. … However I was deeply disturbed by how the highest ranking members of a church could so easily justify using one of their members; how they so callously punished her and then so effectively silenced her when it was done. It wasn’t just the threats; they actually made her feel ashamed, when all she had been was human and trusting.”
So, OK, the church allegedly violated her privacy, made her break up with her old boyfriend, treated her like a disobedient child when she displeased Cruise and punished her for confiding in her friend about the relationship by making her scrub toilets with a toothbrush. But we’re going to play devil’s advocate for a second here: There had to be something that made this all worth it, right? Something that made Katie Holmes stick around for years? We just want to take a second to dissect the possible reasons a person might put herself through such a process. (And btw, the Church of Scientology and Tom Cruise’s camp deny all of the VF story’s allegations).
- You get to date a major Hollywood movie star, on whom you probably had a crush at one or more times during your girlhood. Even if there’s no true love involved, thousands of years of successful royal marriages prove that this kind of match isn’t the worst thing in the world.
- You can probably expect to become famous in the process. Or, in Katie’s case, more famous than a teen drama would ever make you. (This kind of didn’t work for Nazanin, who was kept hidden.)
- You get an image makeover. Nazanin got her braces removed and her hair color changed. Katie got that chic bob and a high-fashion update thanks to friendships with Karl Lagerfeld and the like.
- Despite the fact that Cruise allegedly had other people choose his dates for him, and reportedly had an entourage in tow for their first date, he sounds like quite the romantic. His first date with Nazanin included dinner at Nobu and ice-skating at Rockefeller Center (rented out just for them). “I’ve never felt this way before,” he supposedly told her that night. As someone who nearly melted when he merely said my name at a PRESS CONFERENCE, I can attest to the very convincing nature of Tom Cruise’s relentless charm.
- If you believe in Scientology, as someone like Nazanin, whose mother was also a member, clearly did, you would probably be interested in being involved with its highest leaders and maybe even think any sacrifices you make are minor in respect to the bigger picture. You might also think that a match arranged by the church has your best interests in mind. (But yeah, you make one mistake like asking the leader to repeat himself because he talks too fast and you’re dumped on your ass and scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush, allegedly.)
So, it’s not Boniadi on the cover of a bunch of magazines this fall and being hounded by the tabloids as she escorts her beautiful daughter all over town. On the other hand, things seem to have worked out for her since she was allegedly ditched by Cruise and eventually left Scientology: She’s now a working actress with parts on General Hospital, Iron Man and How I Met Your Mother under her belt, plus she’s a spokesperson for Amnesty International. And she still looks like this.
[Photos: Vanity Fair, Getty Images]
Source: Tom Cruise’s Scientology Matches: Would You Be Tempted Like Katie Holmes And Nazanin Boniadi?
By Evan Lambert
08/15/2012 at 05:20 PM EDT
Minka Kelly and Katie Holmes
Pacific Coast News; Splash News Online
Playing the role of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is no easy task – and an impressive list of actresses have portrayed the former First Lady onscreen, including Katie Holmes
in The Kennedys
last year. And now a new star can add Jackie O. to her resume: Minka Kelly
The Friday Night Lights actress, 32, is set to appear as Onassis in The Butler, which premieres in 2013 and stars James Marsden as John F. Kennedy.
Kelly was recently snapped in full Jackie O garb with Marsden on the film’s New Orleans set, which recalls a similar picture of Holmes in costume last year.
Do you think Kelly has what it takes to play the beloved Jackie O? Or did Holmes look better as the wife of the 35th President of the United States?
Source: Minka Kelly as Jackie O: How Does She Stack Up?