Getty; Inset: Michael Simon/Startraks
Can an ice cream sandwich actually be made with healthful ingredients?
The answer is a lip-smacking yes, thanks to Kristin Cavallari, who posted a delectable batch of cookie sandwiches on Instagram.
“Just made ice cream sandwiches with coconut bliss ice cream,” the actress/fashion designer wrote. “The cookies are vegan and gluten free but taste amazing.”
Instead of using butter and eggs to make the cookies, Cavallari — who’s pregnant with baby number two and clearly making smart food choices — substituted applesauce, a favorite trick of health-conscious bakers. She also nixed white flour for a gluten-free, vegan version and threw in some fiber-rich flax meal for texture.
But she didn’t stop there.
Instead of traditional chocolate chips, Cavallari used vegan bits. Her final smart substitution, which she scooped between the baked cookies: Coconut Bliss, which has the rich taste of ice cream but since it’s made with coconut milk, has absolutely no dairy, soy or gluten.
If you wrap each sandwich individually before freezing, you’ll always have dessert on hand! Here’s Cavallari’s recipe, which she shared with PEOPLE.
Gluten-Free Chocolate-Chip Cookie Sandwiches
1 cup coconut oil
6 tbsp. applesauce
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1¼ cups evaporated cane sugar
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
¼ cup flax meal
1 tsp. baking soda
1½ tsp. xanthan gum
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1 pint dairy-free ice cream, such as Coconut Bliss
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, applesauce, salt, vanilla and sugar. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking soda and xanthan gum.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until a grainy dough is formed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
4. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the portions 1 inch apart. Bake the cookies on the center rack for 15 minutes, rotating the sheets 180 degrees after 9 minutes. The finished cookies will be crisp on the edges and soft in the center.
5. Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before putting a scoop of ice cream in between two cookies.
6. Wrap sandwiches individually in plastic wrap before putting in the freezer.