But between vying for prizes and touring, Schlapman is also enjoying the second season of her cooking show, Kimberly’s Simply Southern.
On her next episode (Saturday, April 13, at 1 p.m. ET), Schlapman is joined in the kitchen by fellow country singer Josh Turner, and the two bond over mushrooms and their kids.
“We found out the day before shooting that he doesn’t like mushrooms,” she says. “But he loved [doing the show] – I’m so glad I changed his mind on mushrooms.”
Sharing the cooking bug is Schlapman’s daughter Daisy, who “loves to cook – she calls the pink kitchen aid the blister.”
Already, the mother-daughter duo have clocked countless hours in the kitchen together. “She’ll call out ingredients to me and I’ll get them from the pantry,” Schlapman says. “She doesn’t measure and just dumps stuff in – they don’t look good, but they are tasty.”
This weekend, Schlapman will be joining country music’s elite in Las Vegas for the ACM Awards, and the singer is still surprised by all the accolades. “We have never had such a great lineup of nominations,” she exclaims. “It’s been a great year!”
Try Schlapman’s recipe below – and tune in for the 48th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards, live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Sunday, April 7, at 8 p.m. on CBS.
Stuffed Mushroom with Pecans
• 18 baby bella mushroom caps
• 1 cup quartered mushrooms for filling, stems demoved
• 2 cloves garlic
• ½ cup pecans
• 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
• ¼ cup pecorino cheese grated
• 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
• olive oil for drizzling
• salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat over to 375 degrees
2. Place 18 mushroom caps on a sheet tray top side down.
3. Take remaining 1 cup of mushrooms, shallots, garlic and pecans and place in a food process – pulse until it becomes a paste.
4. In a sauté pan melt the butter and add the mushroom paste. Sauté for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
5. For the topping, in a small bowl mix the cheese and parsley, season with salt and pepper.
6. Fill each mushroom cap with the filling and top with cheese mixture. Drizzle olive oil on top. Place in over and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.